1. Persons and positions:
As of July 1st, 2018 Prof. Jörg Stein, MD (AT) has succeeded Prof. Reinhard Griebenow, MD as Chair of the EBAC Advisory and Reviewing Committee. In its meeting on Dec. 14, 2018 the ECSF Foundation Council has appointed Henrik Herrmann, MD (Chamber of Physicians Schleswig-Holstein, DE) as member of ECSF Board, and Craig Campbell, MD (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) as member of ECSF Foundation Council.
2. Harmonisation of CME-CPD Accreditation:
In 2018 EBAC has contributed to harmonisation of CME-CPD accreditation by several activities:
- through recently founded association CME-EA (Continuing Medical Education-European Accreditors) EBAC has contributed to a draft position paper on independence of CME, to be adopted by European national as well as international accreditors. With this regard there has been a meeting in Berlin, hosted by German Medical Association, in which several European national accreditors agreed on the draft, now to be presented to their constitutive bodies for approval. As of today the paper has already been endorsed by Austrian Academy of Physicians, European Boards for Accreditation in Cardiology, Haematology, and Pneumology, and German Medical Association.
- CME-EA has also published its mission statement “The future of CME-CPD accreditation in Europe: harmonisation through dialogue and consensus” in the Journal of European CME (JECME)
- In 2018 EBAC has presented its concept of accreditation of micro-e-learning activities in the IAMRA conference, and has accredited the first two activities under the new framework
- EBAC has contributed to an accreditors’ workshop during #11ECF in London, describing recent activities to align CME-CPD accreditation on a global level
- The Cologne Consensus Conference 2018, hosted by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Ottawa, discussed about “What do our data tells us about value, providers, activities and learners in accredited CPD” to further develop evidence informed accreditation.
- The CCC 2019, to be held on Sept. 13-14, 2019 in Cologne, Germany, will focus on “Standards and Guidelines in Accredited CPD” to define a framework not only for recognition of substantial equivalency between accreditors, but also for provision of accredited CME-CPD. In preparation of CCC 2019 German Medical Association has offered to host a meeting open to all interested parties to shape the European contribution to CCC 2019, further details to be communicated in the official invitation coming soon.
- The International Academy for CPD Accreditation has appointed Cologne Consensus Conference as their yearly live meeting. The International Academy “is a network of colleagues, dedicated to promoting and enhancing continuing professional development (CPD) accreditation systems throughout the world. It is also devoted to assisting and supporting the development, implementation and evolution of CPD and continuing medical education (CME) accreditation systems throughout the world. Established in 2013, the Academy serves as a platform that facilitates peer-to-peer support for leaders of CPD/CME accreditation systems and encourages networking, mentoring and interactions about common issues.” (s. https://academy4cpd-accreditation.org)
- The International Association of Medical Regulatory Authorities (IAMRA) has appointed EBAC as a new partner member.
On behalf of EBAC I would like to take the opportunity and thank you all for working, and discussing with EBAC as well as for all support in 2018. We are looking forward to continue our fruitful cooperation in 2019, too!
With all the best wishes for a joyful festive season and a healthy, successful, and in particular peaceful New Year 2019
Robert Schäfer, MD