Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between External and Internal CME credits?

You can earn external CME credits by participating in CME activities that were formally accredited by an official accreditation authority. Accreditation can be awarded by local, regional, national or international CME authorities. If your country does not have official CME authorities, it is possible to apply for accreditation to EBAC.
You will earn internal CME credits by participating in your local CME activities, in hospital ground rounds, improving your competence by learning new procedures or interventions, etc. Internal CME credits are reported, and recognized by, the local or national CME authority, according to its policies and procedures.

Should I apply for accreditation to EBAC or to my national CME authority?

EBAC accreditation is subsidiary to national accreditation systems, targeting the participants from foreign countries. Therefore, in parallel to EBAC accreditation, national accreditation has to be applied for participants of the country where the event takes place.

Our hospital will soon be organizing an international workshop in echocardiography. Can we apply for EBAC accreditation?

EBAC accredits CME activities for any number of participants, and under the condition that the activity complies with EBAC requirements. Please read carefully the “Recommendations for CME Providers”. You will find them in the “Documents Library” of this website.

I participated in an EBAC accredited CME course. The programme was satisfying, but I would like to suggest some improvements for the future. What should I do?

You can make your suggestions to the CME provider directly, which will surely help the provider to improve his services. We also invite you to forward your remarks to EBAC.

What kind of CME courses does EBAC accredit?

EBAC accredits CME events and CME programmes provided at the distance (educational CD ROMs, and Internet CME programmes).

Who is a CME provider?

EBAC accredits meetings, which are organized under the responsibility of a scientific entity, such as international and national professional medical societies (and their associated working groups or affiliated societies), universities, and teaching hospitals.

Individual cardiologists or groups of cardiologists, or others, may apply for EBAC accreditation if a university, teaching hospital or medical scientific society takes responsibility for the contents of the programme, and appoint a scientific director for the course.

Does EBAC accredit CME events organized by non-European CME providers?

Yes, provided the following conditions are met:

  • All EBAC accreditation rules currently in place should be respected;
  • The CME provider should cooperate with a European certified CME provider (scientific society, university etc);
  • European participation in scientific committee and faculty should be equal to the non-European participation (50 %).

Why are the conditions for EBAC accreditation so “strict”?

They are not strict – they conform with international (European and American) quality requirements and standards for CME.