According to its EBAC Policy Statement and Accreditation Rules, the role of EBAC goes beyond providing accreditation services:
“EBAC will stimulate, coordinate and facilitate high quality CME/CPD in cardiovascular medicine, both for individuals and institutions, in order to provide the highest possible standard of care for patients and populations. EBAC awards CME points as a sign of quality and independence for participation in CME/CPD activities. Definitions of learning objectives, targeting the audience, and assuring objectively presented scientific content are among the key features that will be considered by EBAC when accrediting a programme.”
It is the aim of continuing medical education/ continuing professional development (CME/CPD) to maintain and update medical competence in cardiovascular medicine.
- interdisciplinary and interprofessional CME
- training in social and communication skills
- methodological tools like evidence based medicine, quality assurance, total quality management etc.
- international CME/CPD activities in cardiovascular medicine
- national CME/CPD activities in cardiovascular medicine, for which international participation can be expected. EBAC accreditation is not competitive but rather subsidiary to national accreditation systems, targeting the participants from foreign countries,
- national CME/CPD activities in case a national accreditation authority does not provide accreditation services.